Foreign Reporting Quick Guide

Foreign Reporting Quick Guide

Our firm supports many international clients as well as clients with international activity. The guide below outlines the different form types and purposes behind each.

NameFiling FormDescriptionDeadline
Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)114A United States person that has a financial interest in or signature authority over foreign financial accounts must file an FBAR if the aggregate value of the foreign financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year.   This can be filed with the individual tax return through Proseries for a separate fee.Same as Individual Tax Deadline
Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)8938You have to file Form 8938 if a specified foreign financial asset you own directly has a total aggregate value of $50,000.Same as Individual Tax Deadline
Double Taxation Credit1116The United States is a party to tax treaties designed to prevent double taxation of the same income by the United States and the treaty country. Certain treaties allow a U.S. citizen an additional credit for part of the tax imposed by the treaty partner on U.S. source income. This is the foreign income credit, unused portions carryforward.Same as Individual Tax Deadline
Foreign Earned Income Exclusion2555If you’re an American working and living overseas this form lets you claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which (if you qualify for it) can reduce the income by the exclusion. $105,900 for 2019$107,600 for 2020 $108,700 for 2021 $112,000 for 2022Same as Individual Tax Deadline
Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect To Certain Foreign Corporations  5471  Certain U.S. citizens and residents who are officers, directors, or shareholders in certain foreign corporations file Form 5471 and schedules to satisfy the reporting requirements of sections 6038 and 6046, and the related regulations.June 15th

Related Posts

Medical Expense Calculation Worksheet

You might be able to deduct qualified medical expenses that are more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.For tax returns filed in 2022, taxpay...